Sweet as a Cherry Pie..
Summer always seemed to last forever, when I broke up at the end of term as a nine or ten year old. I now realize it is only a mere two months, and a very short two months at that. Days which otherwise would seem endless, suddenly seem to become even shorter, and there are never enough hours to pack in everything that is needed. For now though I am content to bake, read, and repeat, in that order. It seems the perfect way to spend a lazy summer for now. It’s hardly like the Northern Irish weather permits anything more summery or outdoorsy.. rain always puts paid to that.
In an effort to inject a little sweet summery happiness lately, I decided to whip up these cute little cupcakes, made with yummy morello cherry jam, and matching fluffy icing! A family get together was calling and so I knew these would be the perfect little treats to share. I skirted out to the cinema with friends though, sadly a date I could not get around, and so had to enjoy one of these yummies when I arrived home later. Once again inspired by a recipe from my favourite Lola’s Cupcakes book, which still hasn’t made it back to the library, oops!
Oh so sweet and sticky, the cherry jam adds colour and gooey bits to the cupcake mixture,and gives the buttercream frosting a light cherry taste and beautiful pink colour. These really are very sweet indeed my friends!
*inspired by Lola’s, but my own recipe
Sweet Cherry Cupcakes125g butter 125g sugar 2 eggs 125g self raising flour 1tsp vanilla extract 2tbsp morello cherry jam, warmed in microwave 1tbsp milk Preheat oven to 160oc (fan assisted)
1. Cream together butter and sugar using an electric mixer still fluffy. Then add eggs and beat in.
2. Sift in the flour, mix to combine, then add milk and vanilla extract and beat till creamy.
3. Using a spatula gently fold in the warm cherry jam, only a few times, you don’t want to completely combine it. You want the mixture to be streaked, or marbled throughout with cherry jam.
4. Divide between muffin cases and bake in the oven for around 20- 25 mins. Check with a skewer, which should come out clean.
5. Remove from tin and place on a cooling rack.
Fluffy Cherry Buttercream3oz butter 80z icing sugar 1 1/2 tbsp slightly warmed cherry jam 1tbsp milk 1. Whip the butter until smooth and cremy. Sieve in icing sugar.
2. Beat together with jam until smooth and creamy. Slowly add a little milk at a time until of desired consistency.
3. Beat for around 3-4 mins, or even longer if you can manage it, until buttercream is light and fluffy in texture.
4.Place in piping bag and swirl over cupcakes using a star nozzle.
5. Decorate as you please.. I used little fondant flowers and a spot of extra buttercream on top.
Enjoy! Thanks for dropping by! x