Nothing beats a good cup of coffee…. except an even better coffee cake.
I remember clearly the day I decided I would start drinking coffee. I was now ‘grown-up’ in my head, and so I needed to do grown up things, like drink coffee. I poured myself an extra dark cup, and sipped, and told myself I liked it. That it was meant to taste this yucky and horrible.. I think I was about twelve, and I didn’t go back for another cup for a while after that!
Now I enjoy it the odd time, although sadly soya lattes just don’t seem to taste that great when I make them.. and having to add baking powder is such a nuisance.. (I sometimes throw in bicarb because the packets are the same, woops!) If not you get a cup of soya milk with a coffee coloured skin floating delightfully on top, yumm!
Mostly though, I just consume coffee in the best form, which is in chocolates or cakes. I had a notion to come up with a slightly different twist on my usual coffee cupcake though, and after leafing through the gorgeous ‘Making Cupcakes with Lola‘ cookbook, I spied some delicious looking cappuccino cupcakes. I slightly adapted the recipe, using what I had and playing around with it.. the result are my Coffee Toffee Cupcakes!
Devilishly sticky and icky, filled to the brim with coffee, a dash of almonds and dollops of toffee yogurt, and covered in a rich Choco Mocha Buttercream, these are really really scrummy, if I may say so myself.. the perfect accompaniment to your afternoon cuppa! Enjoy!
Coffee Toffee Cupcakes
125g self raising flour
2tbsp toffee yogurt
1tbsp coffee dissolved in 1tbsp warm water
1tsp vanilla extract
100g ground almonds
Choco Mocha Buttercream
80z icing sugar
1tbsp cocoa powder
1tbsp coffee dissolved in 1tbsp water
1. Cream butter and sugar, then beat in eggs.
2. Fold in flour, ground almonds and yogurt. Mix in vanilla and coffee. (Add 1tbsp of milk if not smooth and creamy)
3. Pour into cupcake cases and bake at 160oc for around 20-25 mins.
4. Allow to cool, meanwhile make buttercream. Combine butter and icing sugar and milk. Add cocoa and coffee and beat till light and fluffy, around 2-3 mins.
5. Pipe onto cupcakes, or use a spatula. I decorated cupcakes with toffee pieces, honeycomb sprinkles, vermicelli (chocolate sprinkles) and grated chocolate!
Enjoy coffee lovers! x