My grandmother always recalls that her first memory of my fascination with cooking was when, still crawling on my hands and I knees, I would help her by rolling lemons in from her pantry. Oh and I used to like sucking fresh lemons since before I could talk.. I guess you could say me and lemons have a long standing friendship.
Rich dark chocolaty cakes are all well and good, and very yummy, but sometimes something a little lighter and fresher is required to hit the spot. I bought a couple of lemons today, and was determined to make something scrummy..
I began baking these beauties, only to be joined in the kitchen by my little sister, who declared she was ‘bored, bored BORED’. So I started her on zesting the lemons.. it was beneficial to both of us really.
These cupcakes really do burst into flavour in your mouth. Tangy, tart, the citrus zing hits you from all sides. Paired with a light creamy frosting they really do make a deliciously refreshing treat.
Lemon Burst Cupcakes
*inspired by a Lola’s Cupcakes recipe
125g self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1-2 tbsp milk
Very Lemony Buttercream
3oz butter ( room temperature)
8oz icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2tbsp lemon juice
1. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in eggs, then sieve and fold in flour.
3. Add vanilla, lemon zest, juice and milk and mix until a smooth creamy mixture.
4. Pour into cupcake cases, and bake at 160oc (fan assisted) for 20-25 mins. Check they are cooked with a skewer, should come out clean.
5. Allow to cool on cooling racks. Meanwhile make icing.
6. Beat butter, icing sugar, vanilla and lemon. Then slowly add milk until desired consistency. You don’t want it too runny!
7. Pipe buttercream onto cupcakes using a piping bag with a star nozzle, or simply apply with a spatula. Grate lemon zest over each cupcake.
8. Peel back the case, bite, chew, and bathe in sweet heaven.
Thanks to the wonders of modern technology you shall hopefully be reading this whilst I am soaking up some beautiful sun on the continent, and perhaps smelling lemons around me, or enjoying it on my crepes.. ahh french food is hard to beat! So I hope you enjoy these little lemon lovelies, and I will see you very soon!